1360 Squadron was officially formed on 6 April 1941.
1359, 1360 & 1814 squadrons (later 1359 & 1360) operated under one Committee and were known as the Beeston & Stapleford Wing. This continued until October 1951, when Flt Lt Jones of 1360 squadron thought that it would be better for both units to be independent and each having its own committee. This probably fitted in with some of the changes that were taking place at the time and so from November 1951 each unit had its own committee.
|Flt Lt||WR||Butler||Mar 1941||May 1942||To OC 1359|
|Flt Lt||HJ||Ward||Jun 1942||Oct 1945||Resigned|
|Flt Lt||AL||Jones||Nov 1945||23 Oct 1960||Retired|
|Flt Lt||RV||Yates-Walmsley AFC||27 Oct 1960||30 Apr 1962||To OC 1936|
|Flt Lt||W||Homer||01 May 1962||01 Jan 1966||Resigned|
|Flt Lt||DH||Deeley||01 Jan 1966||21 Sep 1967||To Sqn Off 209|
|Flt Lt||FL||Allen DFM||21 Sep 1967||16 Sep 1968||Retired|
|Flt Lt||NR||Cook||16 Sep 1968||01 Sep 1971||To Wg Staff|
|Flt Lt||S||Abel DFC||01 Sep 1971||05 Apr 1976||To Sqn Off 1360|
|Flt Lt||P||Giles||05 Apr 1976||10 Aug 1983||To Wg Staff|
|Flt Lt||SI||Cowley||10 Aug 1983||31 May 1988||To Sqn Cdr 620|
|Flt Lt||D||Burke||01 Jun 1988||Jun 1989||To Lincs Wing|
|Flt Lt||ME||Barber||17 Jun 1989||09 May 1996||Resigned|
|Flt Lt||WJ||Dalby||09 May 1996||To 643 VGS|
|Flt Lt||P||Whiten||May 2000||Resigned|
|Flt Lt||A||Munns||May 2000||Jul 2011||To Wg PRO|
|Fg Off||G||Fowler||Jul 2011|
Flt Lt Butler joined the squadron in March 1941, the unit was recruiting from the beginning of March 1941. He remained as OC until May 1942, when he was transferred to become OC 1359 squadron where he stayed until December 1946. In January 1947 he was promoted to Squadron Leader to command a Notts Country District (probably SW Notts) which included the Beeston & Stapleford Wing. On the national reorganisation of the Corps when Nottinghamshire Wing was formed out of the Old County & City Committees/Districts he became part of the new wing. In June 1951 he was promoted to Wing Commander Nottinghamshire Wing where he stayed until his retirement in August 1959.
Flt Lt Ward joined the squadron at the beginning and became CO in June 1942 and served until he resigned in October 1945. He remained on the committee until 1951, and may have served on the newly formed Stapleford Committee.
Flt Lt Jones was a former WW1 Royal Flying Corps pilot, joining round about the time that the squadron was formed. He served as OC from November 1945 until his retirement in October 1960. His civilian occupation was as the Range Warden at the Trent Rifle Range. He was an enthusiastic rifleman and 1360 squadron performed well at shooting, the squadron shot at Bisley many times, where many cadets were awarded their Cadet Hundred Badge. During his office at Stapleford the unit had the “Winged Bullet” as an emblem. Both 1359 & 1360 squadron shot regularly at Trent Range until it was closed on the building of the Radcliffe on Soar power station.
Flt Lt Bob Cook was an ex-cadet of 1360 squadron becoming one of the first ever Cadet Warrant Officers in the Corps. He was appointed an Adult Warrant Office in 1959 and was commissioned into the VR(T) in 1962. Remaining with the squadron he was the CO from September 1968 to September 1971. He remained in the Corps commanding several other squadrons prior to being appointed as a Wing Staff officer with East Midlands Wing, being promoted to Squadron Leader in 1983. He was appointed as a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire on 01 January 1992
Flt Lt Steve Abel was an ex-cadet of 1359 squadron prior to his service in the Royal Air Force. He returned to the ATC later in life in October 1967 joining 1360 squadron, taking command from September 1971 to April 1976. At the age of 21 he was serving as a Lancaster pilot with 514 squadron. On the night of 22 April 1945 his aircraft was badly damaged on route to Bremen although it continued to target, after taking a direst hit over target the aircraft lost control and eventually crash-landed in a Dutch cornfield. Miraculously through the skilled flying of Flying Officer Abel all seven crew walked away from the wreck unharmed, they could hardly believe themselves but it was a fact. On 5 May 1945 Steve Able received a Postagram personally signed by Air Chief Marshall Harris offing his warmest congratulations on the award of a Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
Flt Lt Allan Munns was a cadet at 1360 Squadron from the age of 14, he then left the ATC to join the RAF in September 1969. Flt Lt Munns spent 25 years as a communications specialist in the Royal Air Force reaching the rank of Chief Technician receiving the following awards:
- · Air Officer Commanding in Chief Strike Command’s Commendation (for service at RAF Fylingdales)
- · RAF Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
He then assisted at 1360 Squadron from the spring of 1994 whilst serving in the RAF at RAF Newton in Nottinghamshire. Once leaving the RAF he immediately volunteered as a Civilian Instructor at 1360 Squadron. In 1996 he was appointed to the position of Squadron Warrant Officer ultimately taking Command of the Squadron in 1999 when it was at risk of closure due to lack of Commissioned Officers. In May 2000 he was commissioned into the Training Branch of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and was to have the role of Squadron Commander for the next 10 years.
Flt Lt Phil Giles was another former cadet of 1360 Squadron who went on to command the unit from 05 Apr 1976 until 10 Aug 1983 when he was promoted to Squadron Leader and became a Wing Staff Officer. He was promoted to Wing Commander and commanded East Midlands Wing from 1990 to 2000 until its merger with South Midlands Wing. Wg Cdr Giles was appointed OBE.